+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S10 steering pump pulley

Default S10 steering pump pulley

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and am hoping you guys will help me out. I have got a 1996 S10, and keep getting problems with the steering pump pulley. The belt constantly slips off the oulley and gives me hard time steering. I have already changed around 5 belts, and do not feel the problem is about the belt. I suspect the pulley being defective.

My question is, do I have to replace the whole pulley or the pulley bearing? Has anyone had something similar on yalls trucks?

2. Default

The pulley bearing is the pump bearing so I don't think that is bad or you would be leaking fluid. With the belt on look across (down) the belt to see if it is straight It is possible the pulley is on to far or not on far enough. You need a special tool to adjust this. Good luck hope this helps
    Enjoying what I get to do everyday PLAYING IN MY SHOP
    www.fishertrains94.webs.com
    Every one needs a hobby I have 3
    W8AMR
    Laus Deo

Yesterday checked with the tech guy on that, and they say that the pump pulley has to be replaced (https://www.carid.com/power-steering-pump-pulleys/), as for my truck there is no way to have the bearing only replaced. Hopefully, replacing this thing will stop the hassle with belt which constantlt slips off... Cheers!
    Last edited by LimitedSlip777; 01-20-2017 at 10:24 AM.

4. Default

I don't think the bearing is bad it would be leaking if it were. Just adjust where the pulley is on the shaft. As I said you will need a special tool
    Enjoying what I get to do everyday PLAYING IN MY SHOP
    www.fishertrains94.webs.com
    Every one needs a hobby I have 3
    W8AMR
    Laus Deo

Thanks, man. WIll come to see him again today, we'll see what he says... As I don't think I'll manage to adjust the belt my myself. You are right, it's way simpler to do than replace the pulley. Hope this helps. Cheers!

+ Reply to Thread